Thursday, May 15, 2008

Stealing Edwards’ Delegates

Crossposted from Left Toon Lane, Bilerico Project & My Left Wing



click to enlarge
I was somewhat shocked with the attitudes of some Hillary supporters after the Edwards endorsement, especially those swearing they will still vote for Hillary even if she is not on the ballot.

Yeah, it is their right, but I am unsure if they were really Democrats to start off with. For example, I was one of those lunatic Gore supporters, hoping against hope (insert Obama pun here) that he would get into the race. That didn't happen. Then I was supporting Kucinich because he and I are both staunchly anti-war. That relationship didn't last long.

I then landed in the Edwards camp and winced when he dropped out before Super Tuesday. I think if he had stayed in, the primary would have been VERY over at Super Tuesday, not because he would have won, but I have always felt he drew votes away from Hillary and made Obama look stronger and making it easier for Obama to pile on more delegates. When the final tally of votes came in for West Virginia, I think I was proven right as Edwards still garnered 7% of the vote and he wasn't even running. Edwards connects deeply with the blue collar worker - the biggest boast of Camp Clinton these days.

So now I am in the Obama camp and hoping he wins the Presidency. However, if Hillary wins the nomination, I will vote for her - no problem.

So, am I a good Democrat or just a shill for the Democratic Party? Neither really, I am an independent voter who wants a progressive government.As an independent, am I a better Democrat than the Hillary sycophants? I don't know. But I do know total candidate allegiance is not good for democracy.

SPECIAL REQUEST FOR TCD FANS: The San Francisco Chronicle is pondering the addition of new cartoons for their paper - a process that seems to be initiated by Darren Bell, creator of Candorville (one of my daily reads - highly recommended). You can read the Chronicle article here and please add your thoughts to the comments if you wish. If anything, put in a good word for Darren and Candorville.

I am submitting Town Called Dobson to the paper for their consideration. They seem to have given great weight to receiving 200 messages considering Candorville. I am asking TCD fans to try to surpass that amount. (I get more than that many hate mails a day, surely fans can do better?)

This is not a race between Darren and I, it is a hope that more progressive strips can be represented in the printed press of America.

So if you read the San Francisco Chronicle or live in the Bay Area (Google Analytics tell me there are a lot of you), please send your kind comments (or naked, straining outrage) to David Wiegand at his published addresses below. If you are a subscriber, cut out your mailing label and staple it to a TCD strip and include it in your letter.

candorcomment@sfchronicle.com

or

David Wiegand
Executive Datebook Editor
The San Francisco Chronicle
901 Mission St.
San Francisco, CA 94103

0 comments: