Sunday, May 6, 2007

Patti



Patti Smith.

Poet.
Activist.
The High Priestess of Punk.

What else is there to say?

Patti Smith is a honest-to-God legend who, by her presence, ennobles Rock and Roll. Whenever I'm arguing with skeptical unbelievers that this music isn't just a noisy playground of one-hit wonders, Patti is one of the first musicians I point to. Proudly.

So, when my beloved wife informed me that Patti Smith was playing at a local club, what did I do? I said "no" because I didn't want to pay $100 for a ticket. Afterwards, when it was too late, do you know what I said to myself?

"Idiot."

Damn. You'd think I would have learned my lesson from the time I refused to see Muddy Waters at a concert a year before he died because I said, "I'll see him next time."

Idiot.

0 comments: