Tuesday, February 19, 2008

There is no Regime Change with Dynasties

Crossposted from Left Toon Lane, Bilerico Project & My Left Wing



click to enlarge
Just get ready to fire up your email client and send me some hate mail, but I can't get all worked up over the retirement of Fidel Castro.

I hope for many things - the birth of Cuban democracy, Cuba's first voting scandal - I am even looking forward to a sitcom about Havana! But I think those things are far off. I seriously doubt Raul Castro will be a great agent of change for the Cuban people.

I also can't get too worked up over American dynasties. While I am NOT comparing Bush to Fidel (that is letting Bush off lightly), nor am I comparing Clinton to Castro (she is not the devil incarnate as the right wing conspiracy would have us believe). I am saying, we need new blood to lead this nation. Dipping into the same gene pool is bad for West Virginia and it should be considered bad for the rest of the country.

The world has changed a lot since 1980, when the first Bush entered the White House just as the world has changed a lot since 1992, when the first Clinton entered the White House. I am beginning to feel like a ball in a tennis match - back and forth, back and forth. I fail to believe the only good political ideas in this country come from only two families. What are we gonna have after a Hillary Clinton presidency, President Jeb Bush? Some other Neo-con Bush clone fantasy?

I am just saying for a democracy to survive, we need to stay away from Dynasties.

0 comments: